UN - CLIMATE CHANGE COP 25 2019, SPAIN
Please use our A-Z INDEX to navigate this site
STOP PRESS: SPANISH OFFER - Statement by UN Climate Change Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa
Update 31 October
2019 - Following yesterday’s announcement, the Government of Chile, as incoming Presidency, has informed me that they received a generous offer of support from the Government of Spain to hold the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP25) in Madrid on the same dates as originally planned.
We are hopeful that the COP Bureau can consider this proposed solution as soon as possible.
- SANTIAGO / MADRID (Reuters) - Spain will likely host the United Nations' COP25 climate change summit in Madrid, following Chile's withdrawal as host amid raging street protests in the South American nation, a Spanish government source said.
30 OCTOBER WITHDRAWAL - Due to continued unrest at the host nations, President Sebastian Pinera formally withdraws Chile from hosting the conference.
COP 25 was postponed on 30 October 2019. As UNFCCC Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa announced at that time, the Government of Chile informed the UNFCCC Secretariat on 30 October of its decision not to host COP25, in view of the difficult situation that the country is undergoing. The UNFCCC Secretariat is exploring alternative hosting options.
A pre-COP meeting took place in Costa Rica, and aimed to act as a bridge between the UN Climate Action Summit and COP 25. It also provided an opportunity to discuss the IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate and unresolved issues from COP 24.
OUR (SUGGESTED) SIX STEPS TOWARD A COOLER PLANET
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Governments aim to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Such infrastructure should exceed the performance of fossil fuel filling stations, prolong EV battery life and provide power grids with a measure of load leveling. Any such system should seek to obviate the provision of millions of fast charge points where implementation could prove to be a logistical nightmare and an inefficient energy delivery system. This may involve international agreement as to energy storage format and statute to steer car makers to collaborate (in part) in a world of competition.
CLIMATE BUSTERS - This solar and wind powered concept is one part of a development proposal looking to provide solutions for zero carbon shipping as we head for 2030 carbon reductions called for by the International Maritime Organization. The proposal in to test Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT) against Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines (HAWT), working with solar arrays that track the sun and navigation software that plots the best course according to meteorological data.
ZERO CARBON CONTAINER VESSEL - A prototype 50 meter container ship with 6 TEU standard containers shown in red rust inhibitor paint. They can be loaded from the rear if overhead loading is not available. If this vessel performs as expected, the age of zero carbon shipping is getting closer. H2020 Calls for proposals are looking for solar or wind 'assisted projects' and alternative fuels, rather than truly zero carbon concepts. There is no reason why a module of the solar or wind rig might not be retro-fitted to an existing diesel cargo ship.
The turbines can be raised and lowered to cope with different running conditions as seen on the end view left. The main hull is cylindrical for minimum wetted area, while the outriggers provide stability, with a small wetted area for a low drag hull. The superstructure is low to reduce frontal area and air drag. Another important feature of this design is that the turbines may be furled for safe docking in ports or during storm conditions. A scaled up version of this concept could carry 900 containers. Please note that these drawings are Design Copyright © October 17&19 2019, Bluebird Marine Systems Ltd and Cleaner Ocean Foundation Ltd.
SUSTAINABLE CONTAINER SHIPPING - This is a 50 meter solar and wind powered prototype container transport shown with the turbines furled, as if docked in port. When folded down like this the blades do not revolve and may be locked. By this means ports do not have to make special provision for zero emission ships.
The concept may be doubled and quadrupled without too much trouble. You'd need to up-scale by a factor of 8 to match the 400 meter giants that operate today to carry 960 standard containers. That is nowhere near the capacity of a heavy bunker fueled behemoth, but it is a formula for zero carbon transportation that is theoretically workable. We believe that such a system could replace diesel fuels and eliminate the need for liquid fuels that may be potentially dangerous.
16M ZERO CARBON FISHING VESSELS - This is a 20 ton fishing vessel derived from the SeaVax concept that uses no plastic nets and is powered by the wind and sun. The wind generators and solar arrays are shown safely folded and locked for docking in harbour. Copyright © diagrams October 24 2019. All rights reserved, Cleaner Ocean Foundation Ltd and Bluebird Marine Systems Ltd.
Marine transport can be carbon neutral given the right policies, with phased transition in specific stages such as not to unduly penalize present investment in LNG shipping and other recent MARPOL compliant IC powered vessels. Future cargo vessel should be at least in part powered by renewable energy, on the road to zero carbon, making allowances for technology catch-up from 2030 with scrappage trade in on outdated ships and marine taxes on internal combustion engines. It is important that taxes collected may not be used for any other purpose by any participating country. In the UK taxes are collected for one purpose then used for another leading to deficits. E.g. just 5% of road taxes is used for roads. This is a recipe for bankruptcy and huge national debt. Such practices should stop in the interests of sustainability and transparency for the electorate.
2. RENEWABLES: Renewable energy should replace carbon-based fuels (coal, oil and gas) in our electricity for homes, factories, heating and transport. Coal and nuclear power plants should be phased out.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes that are both affordable and sustainable by design to replace crumbling housing stocks. Encourage building in timber to provide carbon lock from a renewable natural resource. Make sustainable housing a permitted development. Taking out the need to apply for planning permission, will cut out council blockers from the decision making process, to stamp out empire building agendas.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need to grow many more trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, air travel, and to build new homes. We must control illegal slash and burn forest clearances and crack down on offenders. We should promote reductions in food waste and eating of foods that use less energy to produce. Educating children on these matters in schools and via campaigns such as no meat Mondays, should be part of ordinary study.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation. EV parking and even service facilities should be part of new industrial estates as part of any building permissions.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt rules to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, increasing spend on educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. This includes fostering policies and making funds available to close links in the technology chain to make up for lost time. Kleptocratic empire building must cease in the search for natural equilibrium. Taxes should be used only for the stated purpose. Borrowing that increases national debts and GHGs in the repaying must cease.
SPAIN CALLING GRETA - Spain's environment minister said the government would help Greta Thunberg cross the Atlantic in time to attend the upcoming UN climate talks.
The 16-year-old made it from Sweden to California by boat, train and electric car before Chile's government announced it was canning the summit because of political unrest in the South American nation. The COP 25 summit will now be held in Spain.
"As #COP25 has officially been moved from Santiago to Madrid I'll need some help," Ms Thunberg tweeted from Los Angeles.
FOR ACTION! - The COP decided at its 24th session that COP 25 will take place in Chile and requested the Bureau to decide on the dates of the sessions.
WILL THERE HAVE BEEN ANY REAL AND MEASURABLE PROGRESS IN 2019 ?
That is the burning question. We owe it to our children to put the brakes on the uncontrolled use of fossil fuels. All over the world schools are experiencing strike action in protest at the inaction of the United Nations members to get their act together. We need to turn the ship and we have a very small rudder. When the captain of the Titanic spotted the iceberg that sank the White Star Line's most famous ship, he tried to avoid the giant floating ice cube by putting the rudder hard over and reversing the propellers, but the ship could not turn in time to avoid a collision.
Where Greta Thunberg sent the United Nations a clear message in December 2018, how much progress will have been made by the Parties. Wil we have a bigger rudder than the Titanic, or will planet earth crash and burn. Since the inception of the COP talks, there has been very little action and a lot of hot air.
All the while we have playground bullies like Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, the world is in danger. Russia and the USA need to grow up and stop beating up the countries that cannot afford to defend themselves. Climate Criminals like these two super powers need to look long and hard at China, where they use coal for energy, but have agreed to a call to action and are building solar and wind farms like there is no tomorrow.
WHAT IS COP ? - The United Nations Framework Convention (UNFCCC) is the international response to climate change. . It is a treaty that establishes the basic obligations of the 196 Parties (States) plus the European Union to combat climate change. It was signed at the Earth Summit in 1992 and came into force in 1994.
The Conference of the Parties (COP) is the supreme decision-making body of the Convention. The Parties meet annually to review progress in the implementation of the Convention where other instruments that support the implementation of the Convention are proposed, evaluated and approved.
The first COP was held in Berlin in 1995. To date, 24 COPs have been held, the last one in Katowice, Poland, in December 2018.
UN CLIMATE ACTION PORTFOLIOS
SOLAR POWERED - Doing our bit to combat climate change, we are building an experimental rig aiming to put a larger version of the same concept on a coastal version of SeaVax from 2020 (subject to funding). The rig above is to be fitted to a Ford Transit roof in May of 2019 so that the experiment can be moved to other weather locations. This is another step in the direction of zero carbon shipping. Our experimental rig will track the sun and move arrays on either side of these fixed panels to increase the harvestable light energy. Copyright photograph © 22-04-19 Cleaner Ocean Foundation Ltd, all rights reserved.
The UNFCCC secretariat is located at two different locations.
LINKS & REFERENCE
DESERTIFICATION COP HISTORY
BIODIVERSITY COP HISTORY
COP THAT - The United Nations Climate Change Conferences are yearly conferences held in the framework of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). They serve as the formal meeting of the UNFCCC Parties (Conference of the Parties, COP) to assess progress in dealing with climate change, and beginning in the mid-1990s, to negotiate the Kyoto Protocol to establish legally binding obligations for developed countries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. From 2005 the Conferences have also served as the "Conference of the Parties Serving as the Meeting of Parties to the Kyoto Protocol" (CMP); also parties to the Convention that are not parties to the Protocol can participate in Protocol-related meetings as observers. From 2011 the meetings have also been used to negotiate the Paris Agreement as part of the Durban platform activities until its conclusion in 2015, which created a general path towards climate action. The first UN Climate Change Conference was held in 1995 in Berlin.
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service. copyright © Cleaner Oceans Foundation Ltd (COFL) (Company No: 4674774) 2019. Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom. COFL is a charity without share capital. The names AmphiMax™, RiverVax™ and SeaVax™ are trade names used under license by COF in connection with their 'Feed The World' ocean cleaning sustainability campaign.